Another Book Excerpt

I’m still editing and polishing Spark, but here is an excerpt from Chapter 1.

Chapter 1

Tessa Mayfield was a ten year old girl in fifth grade. She had gray eyes. Her brown hair was on the borderline between curly and wavy. She lived with her little brothers, Riley and Oliver Mayfield, and her grandmother, Gigi. Gigi was her father’s mother, but almost none of her genetics transferred into Tessa. While Gigi had defined cheekbones and a pointed chin, Tessa had very soft features, including a small button nose. Gigi was thin yet anything but frail. She was very confident and sweet at the same time. 

A knock came from Tessa’s door. She opened it. Her grandmother was standing outside.

“Tessie, this came in the mail for you.” Her grandmother handed Tessa a letter. “I don’t know who it’s from, though.” 

Tessa took the letter. “Thanks, Gigi!”

“Of course,” Gigi closed the door.

Tessa inspected the envelope. It had a purple seal with a fly-looking shape keeping it closed. The material wasn’t paper; it was thicker and the surface was a lot more rough. There was no address, just “Tessa”.

She carefully peeled the wax off. The letter was made of the same material as the envelope, and a message was written in cursive with purple ink. Tessa started to read the letter.

Dear Tessa,

You are special, my dear. You are a descendant of the first Keeper in history. You have an extraordinary brain. I have been watching you throughout your life and I have decided that you are a perfect candidate for the Keepers. I am not supposed to be writing this letter to you, or have any prejudices, but I simply must tell you one thing; be careful. People are going to try to penetrate the walls of Garliam and it may be your job to stop this from happening.  

Beware of imposters, they are everywhere.

Please do not tell anyone about this message.

Watch out, 

Your Grandmother

Tessa thought about the letter for minutes.

Who are the Keepers? 

Why did Gigi write a letter to me instead of telling me in person?

It could have been my mom’s mom—wait, she died years ago!

This is just weird. 

“Tessa! Come downstairs!” Tessa jumped. She opened her door and hopped down the stairs.